Dumfries  has the  highest ever recorded Temperature  in Scotland when on the  2nd of July 1908 it reached 91 Degrees Fahrenheit or ( 31.8 Celsius)
-----

Dumfries  first local radio station BBC Radio Solway (94.7  fm) came on the air in 1984.  West Sound (97.2  fm) first broadcast from Dumfries in 1990
-----

Gas Lighting was first supplied to the  principal streets in Dumfries in 1826
-----
In 1906 The Town Council built  premises in Leafield Road Now owned by Scottish Power , for the supply of electric light and power to the inhabitants of the Burgh
-----

Population of Dumfries town  in the 1991 census ( including  Locharbriggs area ) was 37, 519
-----

Dumfries annual pageant  “ Guid  Nychburrs “ , originated in 1932
-----

The “ Whitesands”  was originally called the  Lower Sandbeds
-----

Pedestrian crossings were  introduced to the to the town in 1960
-----

Automatic Traffic Lights were installed on Buccleuch Street Bridge in August 1937
-----

Dumfries  lies in the Latitude of 55 degrees,  8 minutes and 30 seconds North
With its Longitude being 3 Degrees 36 minutes West .
-----

The Port of Dumfries ,  which included Carsethorn, Glencaple, Kelton, Kingholm, and Dumfries,  had its busiest year in 1846, when 759 boats conveyed a total tonnage of 24,390.
-----

The River Nith  rises in the hills to he east of Dalmellington in  the now
Strathclyde , and passes through two royal burghs Sanquhar (1598)
and Dumfries (1185),  on its 45 mile journey to the  Solway Firth.
-----
Dumfries  has a network of underground streams . The towns motto ... “ A  Loreburne” is said to come from  The Lore Burn which rose from the  bog where the Ewart Library  now stands.
----


The Devorgilla  Bridge ( the Auld Brig ) named after  Lady Devorgilla was built in 1431 . It is made from sandstone extracted from  Castledykes and originally had nine arches
-----

Buccleuch Street Bridge, was  built in 1793 and was widened and improved, by way of a gift by Miss M’kie of Moat House , who also donated the Public Baths and Wash-house, which stood on the  Greensands until 1973.
Another of her  gifts to the  town was the granite  horse-trough  at the top of the Whitesands , bearing the inscription “ A righteous man regardeth the  life of his beast .”
-----
The Suspension Bridge was erected in 1875
-----

The Duke of Buccleuch  opened the  St. Michael’s Bridge on 10th of May 1929
-----

In 1851 fresh water  was piped  into Dumfries from Lochrutton , and a fountain was erected on the High Street in commemoration of the event .
The present day fountain was erected in 1887.
-----

The Fountain at the  junction of Dalbeatie Road and Castle Douglas Road was erected in 1913 by solicitor James McGowan to the  memory of his mother .
-----

In 1859 a water  fountain was erected in Galloway Street  to commemorate  Maxwelltown’s piped water supply and after complaints from residents was removed to Glasgow Street where it stood next to the School.
-----

In 1905  Castledykes became the sewage purification works for Dumfries ,at the  same time Maxwelltown’s waste was being processed at Troqueer Holm.
-----

 

Nithsdale Rowing Club was established in 1865 .
-----

Dumfries and Maxwelltown Angling association was formed in 1885.

-----


The Telephone was introduced to Dumfries on 31st August 1888,when the National Telephone Company  opened Dumfries and Maxwelltown Exchange at 113 High Street.
The present day Telephone Exchange stands on the site of what was the Cleansing Departments depot, prior to which it used to be a slaughter house
-----

The Loreburn Hall was constructed in 1890 as a headquarters of the Dumfries-shire Volunteers .
-----

The Cairndale Hotel was formerly called St . Christophers
-----

Dumfries’ Oldest house “ the Old Bridge House Museum” dates back to 1660
-----

The first council housing to be erected anywhere in Scotland , was Municipal Terrace, at Mildamhead end of Brooms road in 1914.
-----

The now Robert Burn’s Centre, otherwise known as the “Old Mill”  was built in 1707.
-----

The Midsteeple was also built in 1707,  and was originally called the Tron Steeple .
-----

The Queensberry Pillar erected in 1780, was moved to the County Buildings in 1934, before being returned to Queensberrry Square where it once stood beside Underground toilets .
­­­­­-----

Dumfries town centre was pedestriansised in 1989.
-----

Three banks in Dumfries issued their own bank notes.
The Dumfries Bank  (1766 - 1772) issued £1 and £20 notes. 
The Dumfries Commercial Bank (1804-1808) issued notes in the denomination of one guinea (£1.05p) and £5. 
The Southern Bank of Scotland (1838-1840) issued £1 and £20 notes.
There was also one in nearby Castle Douglas, the Galloway Banking company  (1806 - 1821), which issued notes to the   value of one guinea,  £5 and £20 
-----
The Dumfries Savings Bank was Established in 1815 and taken over  by
The Trustees Savings Bank in 1977.
-----


The foundation stone for Cresswell housing estate was laid on 23rd July 1923.
-----

The Theatre Royal has the  distinction of being the   oldest working provincial theatre still active in Scotland, having been opened in 1792.
----

The Cannon cinema opened as “ the Regal” in 1932.
­­­­­-----

The Dock Park was established in 1893 and the bandstand was erected in 1903
­­­­-----

Dumfries Museum, originally built as a windmill in 1798 opened in 1935.
It was founded as an Astronomical observatory in1836 by local mercantile trader Robert Thomson (1775 - 1848.  The Camera Obscura was installed in 1866 and is believed to be one of the oldest in existence.
-----

Dumfries main post office was originally at 10 Queen Street, before moving to new premises in Buccleuch Street, next to the Court House, in 1889 and then to Great King Street, in 1926.
-----

The oldest post office in the World 1712 is in Sanquhar.
-----

The Fire Brigade’s Headquarters moved from George Street to Broom Road in November 1958.
-----

Dumfries’ first link wit the rail network was the opening of the line to Gretna on 22nd August 1848 by the Glasgow and Southern Western Railway Company
opened in September 1850.
-----
The Dumfries - Moniaive railway  ( The Cairn Valley Line ) opened in 1904 and closed on 4th July 1949.
----

The Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway Act. of 1856, granted  permission for the construction of a railway  19miles 3 furlongs and 77 yards in length .
the one-hour journey began on the 7th November 1859 with stops at Maxwelltown , Killywhan , Kirkgunzeon and Dalbeatie.
-----

Maxwelltown Railway Station closed in February 1939.
-----


The Dumfries - Lockerbie railway line which opened on the  1st September 1863 closed on the 4th of May 1964.
-----

The Dumfries - Stranraer  railway line otherwise know as  “ The  Paddy Line “ closed on 14th June 1965.
-----

Dumfries Railway station was voted “ Best Overall Station “  both in 1986 and 1987. In 1995 it was voted the Station with the Best Garden .
----

The Dumfries by-pass was opened by Sir Hector Munro on the 24th October 1990. the stretch of the by-pass  between Glasgow Road and College Road was formerly   Lincluden Road   prefabs.
-----

Glasgow Street became a Dual Carriage way in 1968
-----

Dumfries’ first traffic wardens  started in 1969.
-----

Motor-buses first appeared on the streets of Dumfries in1921  and in April 1938, to the  Town Councils’ approval , the Caledonian Omnibus Company applied for permission to operate double-deck buses within the town .
-----

Brigend of Dumfries Devorgilla  bridge  Stewartry end  , at one time a haven for all kinds of lawless people , used to belong to the monks from Lincluden Collegiate Church  ( The Abbey ) and was developed  by the Maxwells of Terregles . On the 11the September 1810 it was established as a Burgh when the first Magistrates were elected, the first provost being Forsyth , and was thereafter named Maxwelltown .
Maxwelltown’s motto  “ Reverisco “ Translated  from the Latin  means “ I renew My Strength “   or alternatively  “ I start Afresh “
-----

Dumfries and Maxwelltown were amalgamated in 1929 against the wishes of 93% of the Maxwelltown people.
-----

The Goldie Park was bought from the Will,  dated 11th August 1844,  of Miss Jean Goldie of Summerville. The Park however, did not open until 30th July 1904 when Provost Chicken, who donated the wrought iron  gates which used to for the access from the   Glasgow Road , performed the opening ceremony.
-----


Work began on Janefield Housing Estate in 1820 and was completed in 1822. The 84 houses  were built at a total cast of £80,000.
-----

The Construction of Lincluden Housing Estate began in July 1939
-----
Work started on Dumfries’ largest municipal housing estate  Lochside, in 1955
-----
Jessiefield Prison  was first occupied in 1888 and had 83 Cells
-----

Maxwelltown Courthouse and police buildings were built in 1893.
­­­-----

An act of Parliament was passed in 1787 to provide a police force  for the burgh of Dumfries.
-----

The Loreburn Street / Newall Terrace  Police Station Opened in June 1942.
the administration headquarters at Cornwall Mount opened in 1993.
-----
Dumfries Courthouse opened in 1886.
-----

In 1868 Dumfries was the scene of the last public Execution in Scotland, when  19 year old Robert Smith, born in Eaglesfield  was hanged  for robbing ( nine shillings and eleven pence - almost 50 new pence), raping and strangling  to death 10 year old Thomasina Scott from Cummertrees  in Croftwoods near Annan.
-----

The last public execution of a woman in Scotland also took place in Dumfries .
In 1862 Mary Timney was executed for the murder of her neighbour Ann Hanna
-----

The last court of justiciary for witchcraft was held in Dumfries in 1709 when Elizabeth Rule was found guilty  and burned on the cheek with a hot iron.
In April 1659 nine women were found  guilty of witchcraft, they were strangled and their  bodies burned at the stake on the Whitesands.
-----
The first Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary (1777 -1883) situated where Grant Court now stands , was the  first in Europe to perform an operation  using anaesthetic . In December 1846 Doctor William Scott is believed to have  made an amputation  suing ether. The infirmary was built at a cost,   including furnishings of one thousand and fifty three  pounds, seven shillings and two pence  ( £1,053.36d)  and had  42 beds .
-----


The 1873 Infirmary now called Nithbank Hospital had one hundred beds and  cost £16,000.
­­­-----
The present day Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary  opened in 1975  with 424 beds  and cost over £ 5 million. It is built on what used to be a nine-hole  golf course belonging to the Crichton  Royal Hospital.
-----

The Crichton Royal Hospital opened in 1839 under the name of The  Crichton Institution for the  Lunatics.
-----
Charnwood Nursing Home with 10 beds and run by the town council, opened in 1928 as a maternity unit .
-----

Rosevale Poorhouse , built in 1854 , became Cresswell Maternity Hospital in 1939. Work on the present day hospital began in 1955 and Units A and B were in use  by 1959. The second phase was completed in 1962 when operating theatres , labour wards , out-patients and  Units C and D opened  bringing the total number of beds  up to 104, including 24 cots.  By 1985 as a result of the fall in the birth-rate  the total number of beds was reduced to 63, including 14 cots . In Cresswell’s first 10 years there were 1.224 births.
-----

Greyfriars Church built at a cost of £ 7,150 reaches a height 164 feet (45.5 metres) and the first service was held on the 20th September 1868 .
Greyfriars stands on the site occupied by ..The New Kirk.. built in 1727, and prior to which was the location of Maxwell’s Castle. The Greyfriars were of the Minorite Order and were so called because of their Grey attire.
-----

Work Started on St. Michaels Church in 1744.
-----
Troqueer Church was built in 1771.
-----

Saint Marys Church, built in 1839, stands on “ Chrystal’s Mount “ where Sir Christopher ( Chrystal ) Seaton was executed  by King Edward the 1’st of England in 1306 .
-----
Lincluden Church was built in 1953
-----

St. Johns Church was built in 1868 and its steeple stands at a height of 120 feet  (36.3 metres)
-----


Saint Andrews Pro-Cathedral, the seat of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Galloway  built in1873, was destroyed by fire in 1961. The present day Saint Andrews Church was built in 1964. The Bishops house, Candida Casa, is now the Edenbank Hotel .
-----

StTeresas Church Maxwelltown was opened in 1958.
-----

St Ninians Church in Howgate Street,  Maxwelltown , ( now the Brigend Theatre) closed in 1963 and a new Saint Ninians Church  opened at Lochside in 1967. This closed in 1979 and has since been convert4ed into the Nitelife public house 
-----

St Georges Church was built in 1893.
-----

Maxwelltown West Church opened in 1866.
-----

The Townhead Church became Dumfries Academy Dining hall in 1961
-----

The Benedictine Convent was built in 1884.
-----

In 1873 the original Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary was taken over by the Marist Brothers and became St Josephs College before moving to Craigs Road in 1910. Brother Walfrid from Saint Josephs College founded  Glasgow Celtic Football Club in 1888.
-----

Laurieknowe School Maxwelltown was built in 1876,  Dumfries Academy in 1897,  Locharbriggs in 1954,  Lincluden in 1955, Troqueer in 1958, work completed on Dumfries High School in 1959 and Maxwelltown High School in 1971.
-----

Dumfries Schools Music Festival originated in 1922.
-----

Scotland’s oldest working quarry is at Locharbriggs where commercial excavating began in 1740. The sandstone is not only  used in local buildings but was also used in the construction of the Glasgow Museum and Art Gallery, The King’s Theatre in Edinburgh, and the Perth Home of  The Famous Grouse Scotch Whisky. Even farther afield it was also used in the construction of the Statue Of Liberty

-----


Rosefiled Mills opened in 1889 and were at one time  the largest tweed mills in Scotland , suing 175,000 Sheep Fleeces a year. During World War II they were used as a recruiting station for the armed forces . Sadly 158 were not to return.
World War I claimed the lives of 655 from the burghs of Dumfries and  Maxwelltown.
-----

Henderson’s   potato store at the  Kingholm Quay was in the   1850’s a tweed and knitwear factory.
-----

Robert Hamilton owned West End Factory, in King Street, Maxwelltown  and ran it as a  hosiery  factory, he also manufactured and exported fine  quality silk ties .
-----

William Barry and Sons  had a distillery  in town which produced 8,886 gallons ( over 40,000 litres) between 1823 and 1826
-----

The Marquis of Graham opened the Arrol-Johnston car factory at Heathhall in July 1913. the  first in Britain to be constructed of Ferro-concrete, and the following year around 500 men were employed in the  factory. In 1922 Arrol - Johnston became the  first British car manufacturer to use curved windscreens. In 1927 the amalgamated with The Astor  Engineering Company before closing in 1931.
-----

The First woman to manage a car factory was miss Dorothèe Pullinger  in 1921-1922 Daughter of  T.C. Pullinger  manager of the Arrol -Johnstone factory in Dumfries, her Factory was Galloway Motors Tongland.
-----

Carnation decided in 1935 to open a condensery in Dumfries because they regarded the  local milk to be of the highest standard it was at one time  the largest evaporated milk plant in Europe . Previously owned by General Milk Products it was taken over by Swiss company Nestlé in 1986 and is now part of their  Grocery Division manufacturing non-dairy coffee whitener, instant chocolate drink and a range of  health care  produce.
-----

In 1939 The Ministry of Supply acquired almost 100 acres of Drungans Farm  for the production of cordite for the war effort and asked ICI to build and operate it with production beginning early in 1941.  At it’s busiest time more than 750 of the 1.350 pay-roll workers were female and the plant closed at the end of the war. In 1947 ICI’s Nobel Division rented the factory from The Ministry before buying it in 1949 when it began work on the “Ardil “ plant which had the first reinforced concrete roof in Scotland, for the production of a textile similiar to wool and made form monkey nuts. The Plastics Division started  production in 1961.
-----


In 1946 the former car factory at Heathhall was taken over by The North British Rubber Company , who manufactured rubber flooring , golf balls and  hot-water bottles. Over the years it changed hands twice becoming Uniroyal and now Gates   producing transmission belts for many of the world’s  leading car manufacturers.
-----

Dumfries Based John Miller Transport won the Accolade of being the Road Haulier of the Year  in 1995.
-----

In 1839 the bicycle was invented by Kirpatrick McMillan ( 1813-1878) from Courthill near Keir , Thornhill. Called the “Velocipede “ it weighed 57 pounds 
(25.9 kilos) and the wheel diameters were 32 inches (81 cms) at the front and  42 inches ( 107 cms ) at the rear .
-----

The worlds first steamboat was invented by William Symington  (1763-1831)
Given no name it was  launched on Dalswinton Loch on the 14th October 1788
with Robert Burns being one of its passengers . Twin-hulled, 25 feet (7.6 metres
long and 5 tons in weight  it reached a speed of 5 Mph.
-----

The original  “Dumfries Courier” ,  was founded by Reverend Henry Duncan
(1774 -1846)    of Ruthwell in 1809, it amalgamated with “ the Herald “ in 1884 and ceased  publication in 1939. More famous as the founder of the Savings Bank movement  in 1810 he also founded “The Standard” in 1843.
-----
William Patterson (1658-1719) born at Skipmyre on the road to Lochmaben founded The Bank of England.
-----

In 1886 The first Transalantic  Telegraph cable was  laid by “The Great Eastern” captained by Dumfries-born James Anderson.(1824-1893) who was knighted in recognition of his achievement.  The  public house now called  “ The Barrel “ was once  named the  “ Great Eastern “ .
-----

John Sholto Douglas (1844-1900) the 8th. Marquis of Queensberry along with John Chalmers in 1867. Established  the rules  for the sport of boxing.
-----

Robert Burns, born in  Alloway 1759 and died in Dumfries 1796, had his  poems  first published in 1786.
Robert Burns last words are reported as being “ Don’t let  the awkward Squad fire over me “ The statue to his memory ion Dumfries was unveiled by Lord Roseberry on the 6th April 1882 is sculptured from Sicilian Marble and cost £800 with another £100
for the  pedestal. Robert Burns’  Mausoleum was dedicated on 19th September 1817.


Dumfries - Born surgeon and naturalist John Richardson (1787-1865) knighted by Queen Victoria in 1846, was a key figure in the exploration of The Arctic in 1819 with Sir John Franklin ( 1786-1847)
-----

The author of the children’s favourite “ Peter Pan “ in 1904  former Dumfries Academy pupil  Sir James Matthew Barry (1860_1937) was born in Kirriemuir, near Forfar in Angus.
-----

Thomas Telford (1757-1865) from Langholm, built the Caledonian Canal and the Menai Suspension Bridge amongst countless other road, bridges and docks. The town Telford in Shropshire is named after him . He became the first President of the Institution of Civil Engineers
-----

John Paul Jones (1747-1792) from Arbigland near Kirkbean, is credited with founding the Us navy in 1775. He   joined the Russian navy in 1788 and also attacked Leith at the head of a French Force flying the American flag . In 1777 sailing “ the Ranger “  his capture of the British vessel “Drake “ off the Irish Coast  is America’s first recorded naval triumph . He was honoured by the US congress and Ennobled by the French before dying in Paris aged 45 and was later  re-interred in Annapolis, Maryland , USA.
-----

The Cholera epidemic of 1832  killed 550 people with 350 of the  victims being buried together in “ The Cholera Mound” in Saint Michaels Churchyard. 1n1848 another outbreak returned to the  town claiming a further 450 lives.
-----

Gretna was the scene of Britain’s worst ever rail disaster on the 22nd of may 1915 when 277 lives were lost.
-----

The Lockerbie plane disaster on the 21st December  1988  killed 270 people .
-----

In 1990 The Duke of Buccleuch was reported as being the wealthiest man in Scotland, with an estimated fortune of £300 million .
-----

The Highest village in Scotland is Wanlockhead, at 1,380 feet  ( 418metres )
-----

Britain’s Highest golf course is at Leadhills which is 1,500 feet (454 metres ) A.S.L
-----


The Dumfries-shire village of Ae, founded by the Forestry Department , is joint holder of the smallest place name in Scotland
----

In the 1920’s Queen of the South didn’t have to travel quite so far to play their “derby matches “ with Solway Star  (Annan) Mid Annandale ( Lockerbie ) and Nithsdale Wanderers (Sanquhar) all being members of The Scottish Football League .
Queen of the South were first admitted to The Scottish Football League in 1923.
-----

Since the formation in 1919 Queens have had ony one player represent Scotland at full international level - Billy Houliston. in 1949 he played against  England (3-1) France (2-0) and Ireland (3-2) in which game he scored two goals
-----

Queen of the South  are credited with losing the quickest ever goal  to be scored in the history of Scottish League Football when , in 1949, Willie Sharp  of Partick  Thistle scored against them in  just  seven seconds .
-----

Preston North End beat Queens 5-0   when the floodlights at Palmerston were first used on the 29th of October 1958 . A further 104 league goals were conceded by the Queens defence  that season and resulted in them being relegated.
-----

Queens Heaviest Defeat was in a league division one match at Dens Park, Dundee on the 1st December 1962 when the score was 2-10 . In the days before substitutes goalkeeper George Farm received a head injury at the feet of  Alan Gilzean as the second goal was scored . Full-back Willie Morrison and the top scorer Neil Martin  let in the other goals .
-----

Queens Highest victory was 11-1 in a Scottish Cup tie against Stranraer on the 16th January 1932.
-----­

The grandstand at Palmerston was built in 1965 after a previous one was destroyed  by fire. the new all-seated stand was opened in 1995.
-----

The record attendance at Palmerston is 24,500 (receipts £1,718) when Queens lost 1-3 to Hearts   in a Scottish Cup  third round  tie on  23 February 1952.
-----

Maxwelltown Bowling Club was formed in 1890
-----


Dumfries and Galloway  golf Club started in 1880
-----

Dumfries Cricket Club originated in 1853.